Saturday, December 17, 2011

Free Money Finance

Free Money Finance


College Towns Can Be Great for Retirement

Posted: 17 Dec 2011 03:08 AM PST

Moneyland likes the idea of retiring in a college town saying the following:

A lot of retirees find what they want in a college town. That means value, first and foremost. But it also means high energy, good healthcare facilities, continuing education opportunities, and a rich cultural environment.

So, their thoughts are that you can downsize, buying a nice home for a fraction of what you'd sell your current one for, and move to a nice place that has a lot going on.

But there's something I think they are missing -- another reason why I might consider moving to a college town (if I wasn't already in one): a job.

I've always thought that I would work part-time in semi-retirement/retirement and one option for working would be to teach at a college. I could either stay where I am and do this (we have several colleges in my city) or potentially move to a different (nicer?) location in a better climate. There's still time to think this over, but to me this is another great reason to consider a college town for retirement.

But I have one question: are there any downsides I'm missing? Like drunk students driving at all hours of the night? Becoming a ghost town in the summer? Having 60k fans wanting to park in your yard for a football game? I guess the answers probably depend on which college town you live in, where you live there (close to the campus or not), and so on.

Anyone live in a college town? Do you like it? Why or why not?


No comments: